A great way to use your kale and wishing there were even more zucchini to go round. We made these last night and EVERYONE loved them. These will be great in the winter with frozen zucchini and kale.
1 bunch kale
3 small onions or 1 large or more to liking
2 large zucchini or 4 small…
2 large cloves garlic
½ tsp dried thyme
¼ to ½ cup flour (optional)
1. Chop onions and sauté in butter on medium-low heat for ~20 minutes (this lower temperature helps to prevent the butter fat from oxidizing). Carmalize.
2. Put ½ inch of water in a pan with a dash of salt. Turn heat to hi. Rip leaves off kale and add to water. Cover pan and lower temp to med when water starts to boil. Cook as long or short as you’d like – between 0-30 minutes. I boiled mine for about 15 minutes. Drain water. Chop leaves into smaller sizes before adding to zucchini mixture.
3. Shred zucchini via grater or food processor. Pile zucchini lengthwise into thin hand towel, wrap towel around completely, and wring the excess water off zucchini. Use your muscles. One could add salt to zucchini and get more moisture out this way.
4. In large bowl mix wrung out, shredded zucchini, shredded kale, eggs – added one at a time so as not to become too eggy, chopped raw garlic and sautéed onions. For easier manageability, one could add a flour of choice to adhere the pancake “batter” better, but for a variety of health reasons, we opt out of this choice.
5. Fry in oil, butter or ghee for a few minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Serve with feta cheese and top with raw garlic. Super delicious.
6. Experiment with spices and herbs. Allspice, cinnamon, curry powder, thyme are some different ways to spice up the cakes. Also, more veggies, like tomatoes, red peppers or mushrooms would all meld nicely.