Andrew's Herb Risotto
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup trimmed, diced fennel bulb
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil and butter in a medium heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add fennel, bell pepper, onion, garlic, 1 1/2 tablespoons mint, 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley, 1 tablespoon rosemary and 1 teaspoon lemon zest. Saute, stirring, until vegetables are slightly softened (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Stir in coriander and rice and saute, stirring, until rice grains are oil-coated (about 3 minutes). Pour in wine and stock and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, or until liquid is almost absorbed and rice is tender but firm. (Note: Stir once or twice while simmering.)
- Remove pan from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in remaining mint, parsley, rosemary and lemon zest, then add lemon juice and cheese. Cover saucepan and let stand 8 to 10 minutes before serving.
-Note I add my broth one cup at a time until rice has absorbed all of the liquid. I did 5 cups broth.